Confusing Heteronyms or Homographs
Why it is so hard to learn English
Do you know what these mean?
- The bandage was wound around the wound.
- The farm was used to produce produce.
- The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
- His expert use of a bow made the audience bow.
- He could lead if he would get the lead out.
- The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
- Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
- When the bell rang, the dove dove into the tree.
- A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
- I did not object to the object.
- There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
- The chair was too close to the door and we could not close the door.
- The buck does a funny dance when the does are present.
- A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
- To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
- The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
- After a number of injections my jaw got number.
- Upon seeing the tear in my new dress, I shed a tear.
- I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.